Cosgroves Pharmacy as known today opened its doors on Friday, 2nd December 1994.
The fusion of old and new during its extensive renovations created the ideal environment for customers getting prescriptions, or seeking advice and information about their health.
In keeping with a preservation order on the pharmacy as a place of historic interest, all the original pharmacy jars are displayed on three tiers of shelves, the contents of which are all labelled in latin. The pharmacy drawers, also latin labelled, were french polished but now contain a wide range of modern day products.
On top of all the cabinets around the pharmacy one can view old prescription and remedy books and a wide range of historical apparatus used in the formulation and compounding of prescriptions.
A magnificent large green pharmacy jar that formally contained Lavender salts now presides over the aromatherapy oils and Bach Flower Remedies for sale today..
The Pharmacy is one of the focal points of any community. Though the appearance and the layout has changed enormously during the past century, the role of the pharmacist as advisor to the public on medicines and on minor ailments has continued and even expanded during recent years. The Victorian and Edwardian pharmacies, so long familiar to the older generations, are now being regarded by the public and pharmaciest themselves as evidence of the historical development of Pharmacy.
This double-fronted pharmacy dating from 1884 has a fine mahogany dispensing screen complete with centre clock, typical of the second half of the 19th century. The many glazed earthenware storage jars, highly decorated, are ranged over a long run of labeled drawers; these now alas rapidly disappearing from modernised pharmacies. Proprietor Mary E Jennings..
Ms. Mary Jennings
In close association with the medical profession and its duties the functions of the pharmaceutical chemist occupy and exercise an important place and part. A noted establishment, devoted to the cultivation of this scientific branch, is conducted by Mr. George Lane McCormack. This select establishment was founded by its present proprietor six years ago (c.1882) and has been a most successful enterprise. From the period of its inception to the present a substantial and select patronage has been bestowed, a prosperous business cultivated into full and vigorous growth, and the fullest confidence of an appreciative public secured. Situated in one of the aristocratic and fashionable localities close to Monkstown railway station on the Dublin to Kingstown line, the position is admirably adapted to the development of an extensive and lucrative business.
The Shop is superbly fitted up with elegant and most attractive appointments displaying a high order of taste. The stock, which is most comprehensive, embraces the purest drugs and chemical preparations used in leading patent and proprietary medicines. The stock has been selected with the greatest care and thorough experience through the best known mediums and every item is characterised by purity and perfection. The compounding department is supplied with all requisite pure preparations, and is personally superintended and is well supported by the profession and the various classes of the community. In the ordinary drug line an extensive business is done with the several grades of societyin the neighbourhood. The establishment bears a justly high reputation and is popular in the district, is fully qualified as a Licentiate of the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland, and is a gentleman highly esteemed throughout an extended circle including cusomers, patrons, and many social friends..